This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Comment count doesn't work after upgrading to 2.5

I've upgraded to V2.5 (fresh install, not update) and the former code I used to show the comment count doesn't seem to work (and actually crashes the whole script). I get "access denied" message instead of a count and the comments form doesn't even show up (as the first code of comment count is used before the form).

<?php
$id = "34"; //The ID of the page. You can get this from Manage -> Pages.
define('IN_COMMENTICS', '1');
require_once ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'comments/includes/db/connect.php');
$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `".$cmtx_mysql_table_prefix."commentics` WHERE is_approved = '1' AND page_id = '$id'");
$total = mysql_num_rows($query);
echo $total;
?>

Tried to delete the define line, but no difference.

Hi,

There has never been a database table called 'commentics' so that should never have worked. It needs to be changed to 'comments'.

Also change define('IN_COMMENTICS', '1'); to $cmtx_path = '1';
(Normally the $cmtx_path variable is used when including the connect.php file but you're including the file differently, with $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'], so you need to set the $cmtx_path variable on another line.)

Also you should be using the MySQLi functions instead of MySQL.

Try this:

PHP Code:
<?php
$id
= "34"; //The ID of the page. You can get this from Manage -> Pages.
$cmtx_path = '1';
require_once (
$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'comments/includes/db/connect.php');
$query = mysqli_query($cmtx_link, "SELECT * FROM `".$cmtx_mysql_table_prefix."comments` WHERE is_approved = '1' AND page_id = '$id'");
$total = mysqli_num_rows($query);
echo
$total;
?>

Have you completed the interview?

Damn... stil can't get it work. Reinstalled it and used comments database, then changed the code (actually using a new test page to make sure nothing is interfering). All I use on a new page is:

<?php
session_start();
?>

<?php
$id = "34"; //The ID of the page. You can get this from Manage -> Pages.
$cmtx_path = '1';
require_once ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'comments/includes/db/connect.php');
$query = mysqli_query($cmtx_link, "SELECT * FROM `".$cmtx_mysql_table_prefix."comments` WHERE is_approved = '1' AND page_id = '$id'");
echo $total;
?>
After this is executed I get this error:
Sorry, there is a database problem.</p><p>Please check back shortly. Thanks.
SCREAM: Error suppression ignored for
Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, null given in C:\wamp\www\ssi\related\category\related.html on line 27 (the included page where the above code is used for a count view).

and nothing else is loaded afterwards (the actual commentics form).

Sorry, after thinking about it again, you need to set the $cmtx_path variable properly because connect.php uses that variable to include the other database related files.

PHP Code:
<?php 
$cmtx_path
= $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . 'comments/';

This is working on my setup:

PHP Code:
<?php
$id
= '1'; //The ID of the page. You can get this from Manage -> Pages.
$cmtx_path = 'upload/';
require_once
$cmtx_path . 'includes/db/connect.php';
$query = mysqli_query($cmtx_link, "SELECT * FROM `" . $cmtx_mysql_table_prefix . "comments` WHERE is_approved = '1' AND page_id = '$id'");
echo
$total;
?>

Great Steven, everything works as supposed, EXCEPT - when the count is pulled, it seems that it's shown by the page id (in a comments table), but NOT by the new $cmtx_identifier variable.

Here's an example from myPHPadmin, database "comments", table "pages":

[Image: image.jpg]

I have 4 test pages with comments now, each has that auto-incremental id assigned. IF I write a number from a 1-4 range in that line: "$id = "4"; //The ID of the page. You can get this from Manage -> Pages." , it DOES show the exact number of comments (all good), BUT not of the actual $cmtx_page_id = '48'; which now is replaced with $cmtx_identifier = '48' in the form integration code (and it's NOT the "page_id" anymore from what I understand), it shows the count based that auto-incremental id variable instead. My guess would be that cmtx_identifier change is somehow related with this new issue.

Yeah the $id variable is meant to be the page ID that's in the URL when you edit a page in Manage -> Pages.

If you want it to be the page identifier instead, then use this:

PHP Code:
<?php
$cmtx_identifier
= '1';
$cmtx_path = 'upload/';
require_once
$cmtx_path . 'includes/db/connect.php';
$cmtx_identifier = mysqli_real_escape_string($cmtx_link, $cmtx_identifier);
$page_query = mysqli_query($cmtx_link, "SELECT `id` FROM `" . $cmtx_mysql_table_prefix . "pages` WHERE `identifier` = '" . $cmtx_identifier . "'");
$page = mysqli_fetch_assoc($page_query);
$id = $page['id'];
$query = mysqli_query($cmtx_link, "SELECT * FROM `" . $cmtx_mysql_table_prefix . "comments` WHERE is_approved = '1' AND page_id = '$id'");
echo
$total;
?>

Seems it's working as supposed now, thank you very much! I'll make sure to support your project as it's a great piece of software and you're a great help Steven.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
28-Jan-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post by Steven
25-Jun-2020, 08:10 AM
Last Post by Steven
21-Oct-2018, 08:42 PM
Last Post by bahar
16-Nov-2015, 10:07 AM
Last Post by Ron
05-Jun-2014, 08:34 PM