This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Installation error (MySQL error?)
Lightbulb 

Hello!

I just downloaded Commentics. It seems like a good comment script, but I'm having trouble installing it. I am recieving the following error on page two of the installation:
Code:
1101: BLOB/TEXT column 'comment' can't have a default value

I'm not that good at MySQL, if it is a MySQL error. If it's not too much trouble, please tell me what I did wrong. Thank you in advance.

PS: Second member, first postTongue

EDIT: BTW, does it validate? What level?

I'm giving you three guesses...

Hi,

Congratulations on the first post Smile

Please open comments/installer/install_2.php

Find this line (line 109):
Code:
comment text NOT NULL default '',

Change to:
Code:
comment text NOT NULL,

Then also do the same for this line (line 113):
Code:
approval_reasoning text NOT NULL default '',

Change to:
Code:
approval_reasoning text NOT NULL,

You may need to re-create your database before running the installer again.

Please post back if that works.

It successfully validates as XHTML 1.0 Transitional (providing you have line breaks turned off).

There is just 1 error with CSS validation. It's due to a CSS hack for Google Chrome.

Have you completed the interview?

Hmm, it gives me one more error:

Code:
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''', ip_address varchar(39) NOT NULL default '', page_id int(10) NOT NULL d' at line 9

Thanks for your reply, Steven.

PS: How secure is it? I guess I am being picky now, but security is important (as if you didn't know that alreadyWink).

It seems to be complaining about this line again:
Code:
comment text NOT NULL,

Please re-download Commentics and use the install_2.php file from the download just to make sure that it's not something to do with how you edited the file.

I wrote Commentics with security in mind. It does too much security wise to list here. I'm going to write an FAQ about it later today.

Re-downloaded and reinstalled. It worked. My mistake was that I forgot to remove the two apostrophes from
Code:
comment text NOT NULL default '',
In other words, I only removed "default "Confused.
Thank you for your help.

--Static

I'm glad it's working for you now. Let me know if you have any further issues.

The security FAQ is now available:
http://www.commentics.org/support/knowle...article=10

Hi Steven

First post for me here Smile

I found this thread while searching the forum for solutions. I got somewhat the same error message as the member Static above.
However, this thread is two years old, and when I'm checking the install_2.php file, the references to row number you give don't match. Probably because the current version is different now.

I'm not comfortable in changing the code without consulting here first. So here we go.

In the checklist, everything except System() function is passed.
These are the error messages I get when running the installer (sorry for the long copy/paste):

-------------
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-access ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, admin_id int(10) unsi' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-admins ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, username varchar(250)' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-admins (username, password, email, ip_address, cookie_key, detect_admin, detect' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-bans ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, ip_address varchar(39) ' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-comments ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, name varchar(250) N' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-logins ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, dated datetime NOT NU' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-logins VALUES (2, NOW())' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-pages ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, page_id varchar(250) N' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-questions ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, question varchar(2' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-questions (question, answer) VALUES ('Type the word for the number 9.', 'nine')' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-reports ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, comment_id int(10) u' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-settings ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, category varchar(25' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-settings (category, title, value) VALUES ('viewers', 'viewers_refresh_time', '6' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-subscribers ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, name varchar(250' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-version ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, version varchar(10) ' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-version (version, type, dated) VALUES ('2.1', 'Installation', NOW())' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-viewers ( user_agent varchar(250) NOT NULL default '', ip_address varchar(3' at line 1
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-voters ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, comment_id int(10) un' at line 1
-------------

I tried to read here http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/r...words.html, to see if I could figure it out myself, but apparently I'm not that clever Smile

I imagine I too, have to change something in the installer_2.php file? I found somethings on row 123 and onwards, but again, I'm unsure where I need to do the changes. Should I remove all the [default ''] I find, or just some in particular?

Please, can you get back to me with some instructions?

Regards
Nils

Hi,

It seems to be a problem with your $cmtx_mysql_table_prefix value in /comments/includes/db/details.php

Make sure you don't have any spaces or single/double quotes. Only letters, digits, or underscore. I think the hyphen is okay too.

(10-Sep-2012, 03:12 PM)Steven Wrote:  Hi,

It seems to be a problem with your $cmtx_mysql_table_prefix value in /comments/includes/db/details.php

Make sure you don't have any spaces or single/double quotes. Only letters, digits, or underscore. I think the hyphen is okay too.

Wow, that was ultra quick reply. Thanx!

I do have a hyphen there, but i'll try and change it to underscore.

Brb

(10-Sep-2012, 03:24 PM)nilsingvarsson Wrote:  
(10-Sep-2012, 03:12 PM)Steven Wrote:  Hi,

Wow, that was ultra quick reply. Thanx!

I do have a hyphen there, but i'll try and change it to underscore.

Brb

I changed prefix to underscore instead. Also, in the installation steps I replaced a space with underscore in site name, and also replaced letter รถ with o in site name.

Dunno about the site name changes, but these changes worked anyhow! Now I'm in the admin panel. Great!

Thanks for the support Steven.

Maybe this info about allowed characters in prefix could be in the comments of the details.php file, just to minimize errors?

/N

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by FaradaysPC
02-Aug-2022, 08:49 PM
Last Post by rol
16-Feb-2020, 02:18 PM
Last Post by Steven
23-May-2019, 07:20 PM
Last Post by Steven
08-Feb-2019, 04:57 PM
Last Post by Steven