This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

403 Forbidden error

Hi,

Hmmm, After the install I can't seem to find the frontend Sad I get a 403 error when I type the url to comments/ or comments/index.html
The install went fine, no problem with getting to the admin panel.
any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hello, Michael, and welcome to the forums!

To get the script's frontend working, follow the integration instructions here. The comments folder simply stores the script's files, so there's nothing in the index.html file unless you add something.

I'm giving you three guesses...

(06-Feb-2011, 01:51 AM)Static Wrote:  Hello, Michael, and welcome to the forums!

To get the script's frontend working, follow the integration instructions here. The comments folder simply stores the script's files, so there's nothing in the index.html file unless you add something.

Thanks for the reply. but when I made the page and inserted it I clicked the page link ( in admin) and the page can't be found. I can't find it on my FTP either. I can't edit the page with the PHP tags because I can't seem to find it.
Thanks,

Even creating and uploading a new page gets slew of errors (on click), Nothing seems to work to get the frontend to render .Huh I guess I will dump the script... Thanks Anyway..

(06-Feb-2011, 02:14 AM)rmichael51 Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. but when I made the page and inserted it I clicked the page link ( in admin) and the page can't be found. I can't find it on my FTP either.
Thanks,
That is because the script doesn't create the page if it doesn't exist. You have to manually create the page and upload it as a php file. This might be good idea for a new feature. Supplying some sort of default template for the page would also be helpful (for the feature).

rmichael51 Wrote:  Even creating and uploading a new page gets slew of errors (on click), Nothing seems to work to get the frontend to render . I guess I will dump the script... Thanks Anyway..
Sorry it worked out this way. It would be helpful if you were to post the errors, since someone will most definitely know how to help you, but if you don't want to bother, it's your choice. I might not be able to help you right now though since I'm having bad internet issues, so excuse me about that too.

I'm giving you three guesses...

I agree this would be a good feature. Create the page if it doesn't exist.

Have you completed the interview?

Static,
Sorry about the tone that post, I too was having a bad (internet) night. I really do have a lot of respect for coders/programmers.
I just assumed there would be a default template for the public page. The instructions for new (page) integration seems a little thin. Does the new page go in the root directory? or within the comments directory? I guess the page ID # in the new page php tag needs to match the ID number generated by the program, so I edit the page after insertion to match that number.

Thanks for your patience,
rmichael

rmichael, typical use of the script is to add the code into already-existing pages and that's why there is a lot of focus on the word 'integration'. Users often have articles that they want their visitors to comment on so they download Commentics and these pages could be anywhere on their site so the script is designed for any page location. The example files included in the package allude to this. As the script is usually added to existing pages there are no supplied templates for starting a new page. The purpose of the 'Add Page' section in the backend is purely to sync the script with your site, as opposed to actually 'creating' a new page for you. It appears that you believe Commentics is a CMS. Yes you do need to edit the page IDs in the pages to match the ones given by the backend. I understand that all of this isn't immediately obvious and I admit that the integration page could or should be expanded in order to deal with these misconceptions.

I'd like to invite you to write some information, based on your experience, that you think would help new users when integrating the script:
http://www.commentics.org/wiki/doku.php?...ntegration

I've just started it off. You can edit it if you find the time and want to help.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by FaradaysPC
02-Aug-2022, 08:49 PM
Last Post by Steven
12-Nov-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post by HGsunday
04-Jul-2018, 09:42 AM
Last Post by Steven
14-Apr-2017, 11:56 AM
Last Post by hentes