This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

No comments form appears despite many avenues explored...

(25-Apr-2013, 05:49 PM)sherry Wrote:  
(25-Apr-2013, 11:41 AM)Steven Wrote:  I think you need to get your host involved. This isn't really an issue with Commentics, but rather that your server isn't able to handle some basic PHP code. As the host, they can look at your files and examine your server logs to fix the issue far quicker than I can from a public forum.

Steven, thank you-- I asked them to read this thread and then see if they could find out what's wrong at the server end. The reply I received was that it appears to be a scripting issue on or around line 182 ("PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/weekendo/public_html/ideas.php on line 182")... which is this:
$cmtx_path = 'comments/';

...So I tried it as './comments/' - and it works. YAY!!! (and oh for heaven's sake... the one combination not tried, -with the php file-; major lesson: I should have used a spreadsheet to keep track of them all). And so I apologize - and thank you again for your time. (I would have preferred to keep the html page, and it would be nice to know why it won't work... but forget it! - this does.)

[I wish I could say that everything about the form works as planned... various things don't show up (Terms & Cond. page, social button graphics), and using apostrophes or quotes results in "\\\" added before them, Topic isn't as I'd input) - but I will diligently search out the details on the forum.]

Meanwhile, it looks very, very nice! - and it does work. :^) Many blessings.

OH! - now I see that there -was- a new element in what I did ("wrong"!): I put in ./comments instead of ../comments - and only ./ works! (/public_html/ is just below the actual root on my part of the server. I guess ./ takes you up one but ../ had nowhere to go if it was trying to go up 2??) Sometimes it's good to be wrong, apparently!

You forgot the word "set" in $cmtx_set_topic.

The backslashes (\) are being added because you have 'Magic Quotes' enabled on your server.
FAQ: http://www.commentics.org/support/knowle...article=29

Also see this FAQ: http://www.commentics.org/support/knowle...article=32

P.S. Thank you for the donation.

Have you completed the interview?

"../" instructs to go up one directory.

"./" refers to the same directory you're in.

So, using "./file.php" and "file.php" are basically the same, or at least they should be in theory. However in rare cases, such as yours, you have to explicitly tell the server that you want the same directory that you're in. This may be due to some unusual settings on your server.

This is what you want as the 'Comments URL' setting in Settings -> System:

"http://www.weekendofnoblame.info/comments/"

Without the quotes of course.

(25-Apr-2013, 07:22 PM)Steven Wrote:  "../" instructs to go up one directory.

"./" refers to the same directory you're in.

So, using "./file.php" and "file.php" are basically the same, or at least they should be in theory. However in rare cases, such as yours, you have to explicitly tell the server that you want the same directory that you're in. This may be due to some unusual settings on your server.

Thank you for your further tips. I guess I should love being rare - ha. A web host guy assured me that Magic Quotes -was- disabled...but clearly he looked too quickly, because only -2- of the 3 lines of code were set to "Off"; someone fixed it. And the images - got the folder path straight, now they're lovely; Terms & Cond. likewise now aligned. Topic is now correct (operator error - bad!) - nice of you to head that off.

Really - Heart

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
29-Jul-2020, 08:34 AM
Last Post by MattyP
13-Apr-2020, 08:33 PM
Last Post by Steven
23-Apr-2019, 09:22 PM